A crate of old records


"It's only Channel 31..."

It's a common phrase amongst those of us who make program for said channel. It's a phrase I have never liked, and wish to never use, but sometimes things have to give. Perfectionism is a disease.

So far we’re just waiting for Mike & Bill from Spectrum to pick a song that they’re happy for us to use, abuse, break down, and sticky tape back together. Whilst we’ve been waiting, my mind has been going wild with how we’re actually going to construct this show. One thing that really worries me is the limitations we have, namely the budget - particularly in terms of equipment available to us.

The idea of using a 3-chip camera with inbuilt microphone just makes me squirm (I refuse to go to a 1-chip). We either compromise the technical quality of the show, or the creative possibilities with the available money. For the first time ever I’m trying to convince myself that quality isn’t everything.

When I sit back and think about what we’re about to do, I have a great deal of apprehension, but also a great deal of excitement. On the one hand, we may make a clip that will feel right at home amongst the barrage of crap on You Tube. On the other hand, we’re taking a risk – pushing our own boundaries as to how creative we can get with such little time, money and experience. And what’s more, we can do as we please. No network execs here. It will be interesting to see what happens. All we’ve got to lose is our dignity.

0 Responses to “"It's only Channel 31..."”

Post a Comment



© 2006 A crate of old records | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.